Grow magic mushrooms easily with this B+ XP FreshMushrooms® magic mushroom grow kit. The B+ magic mushroom grow kits are very low in maintanance thanks to the fully colonized substrate without fillers. Get your first flush of B+ magic mushrooms with with high amounts of psilocybin with. Read the simple instructions below and you will be assured of a high yield of magic mushrooms!
- Fast growing: 1 week to first pins, 1-2 more weeks for the harvest.
- High yields: Up to 4 flushes (under ideal conditions)
- High Potency: According the supplier the XP (Extra Potent) strains are twice as potent!
Contents of the B+ XP FreshMushrooms® Grow Kit
- 1x B+ FreshMushrooms® Mushrooms Grow box – This contains rye substrate with active mycelium
- 1x grow bag – The bag has filters across the bag.
- 2x paperclip – For closing the grow bag.
You will need
- Potable water – For misting and soaking
- Clean environment – Work clean to give other fungi and bacteria (micro organisms) no chance to contaminate.
We recommend using
How to prepare the room and yourself before you begin
- Close any open windows. Wind or draft may bring microorganisms that can contaminate the Magic Mushroom grow kit.
- When you take out the grow box with the cake from the carton box, put it on a disinfected surface. When this surface would not be clean, microorganisms may attach to the grow box and will flourish inside the Magic Mushroom grow kit, and contaminate the grow box.
- Make sure you work with clean hands and arms. We recommend using surgical gloves or a good disinfectant when handling the kit. You should use a facemask to avoid breathing into the grow bag and on the cake.
Instructions: Starting the Magic Mushroom grow kit
1. Take the magic mushroom grow kit, plastic bag and paperclip out of the box. Remove the lid from the mushroom grow box (store the lid properly). Rinse the lid under running water. You will need it again later (step 7).
2. Place the mushroom grow box without the lid in the plastic grow bag (opening at the top). Slide the opening of the bag under the bottom with the micro perforation pointing upwards. The opening of the bag is now largely closed. You do not have to worry about air circulation.
3. When you see the first small mushrooms, the so-called "pins", you can put the grow bag upright. Do not water the kit! The first pins should be visible after about 1 week.
4. Place the mushroom grow kit in an area with enough daylight and at a temperature between 18°C and 28°C. NEVER place the grow kit in direct sunlight. Although mushrooms will grow at almost any temperature above 15°C, know that 23°C is the ideal temperature for an optimal harvest. Special heating mats are
to maintain this temperature so you do not have to heat the entire room.
5. When the mushrooms are slightly bigger than the pins, open the bag for half a day so the moisture can evaporate (Phase 2). Too much moisture is not good.
Your first harvest will be about one or two weeks after you first see the pins. Make sure that you harvest before the first spores begin to drop. Freshmushrooms grow kits produce their first harvest fairly quickly. Lower and higher temperatures may delay this growth process.
6. These kits can produce several mushroom harvests (flushes). To start again after every harvest; fill the kit with clean tap water. This process is known as cold shock. It breathes new life into the mycelium and ensures that enough moisture is present for the mushrooms to grow.
7. Place the lid of the grow kit back on the grow box holding the substrate. Let the kit rest for 12 hours. Open a corner of the lid and drain the excess water. Now start from step 1 again. This process can be repeated several times.
Growing with heatingmat (these instructions apply only to FreshMushrooms® grow kits)
Place the plastic bag with the grow kit in it on the heat mat. Turn the heat mat on. After two days switch the heat mat off and wait until the pins have developed, which usually takes between five to ten days. Now switch the heat mat on again and open the top of the bag a little so the moisture can evaporate.
What to do if the pins haven’t developed after ten days. Take the cake out of the plastic box, put it back in the plastic box on its side and start again with two days with the heat mat.
How to store the grow kit correctly
Ideally you start the cultivation process right away. When you decide to start growing later, you may store the magic mushroom grow kit inside a 2°C to 8°C) for 4 weeks after the production date.
in the refrigerator (
The ideal temperature is 23°C. Do not have the temperature drop under 18°C and not exceed 29°C. To keep the temperature from dropping under the 18°C, you can use a thermo mat to maintain the ideal temperature. A thermo mat is a must-have in the winter or colder regions of the world.
The magic mushroom grow kit only needs light for the mycelium to ‘understand’ it has reached the surface. Only then, mushrooms will grow. A few hours of fluorescent/artificial light or indirect sunlight a day is more than enough. Direct sunlight kills the mycelium, so avoid the sun to shine directly on the grow kit.
When environmental conditions are optimal, you can expect the first small mushrooms (the pins) to appear between 7 and 10 days. This also depends on the strain. Some cubensis strains grow slower than others.
The mushrooms come up in groups. This can be a small or large group. That depends on the strain. A growth like this is called a flush. Mushrooms are almost never ripe at the same time as others. You can get more than one flush out of a kit. The first two flushes are the largest. When more flushes come, they will be smaller than the previous one.
Mushrooms are ripe and should be picked when the veil between the hat and the stem has just torn. Don’t wait much longer. Use surgical gloves or disinfect your hands, wrists and arms. Pick the mushrooms that are ripe and let the others continue to grow. The cake has no top layer such as vermiculite. This makes is much easier to pick the mushrooms than with the standard grow kits. The mushrooms can easily be pulled out of the cake by holding them between thumb and index finger. They mushrooms let go almost immediately. When most of the larger mushrooms have been picked, also pick the smaller ones and the pins as well.
Mushrooms that grow from the sides
Mushrooms grow where the light reaches and where there is little penetrating resistance. Because the cake has light shining on the sides, the mushrooms might also grow there. It is hard to counter this and can be allowed. Some growers wrap the sides of the grow box in aluminum foil to keep the sides dark, but this doesn’t always work well.
When mushrooms grow there, they can be picked just before you soak the kit:
Clean hands! Take the grow box out of the bag and place it upside down on your other hand. Wiggle the plastic box so that the cake will fall out, onto your hand. The plastic box can be placed on a disinfectant surface. Now you have this hand free to pick the mushrooms from the sides of the cake. When all mushrooms are picked, you can place the cake back as it was, in the plastic box and continue to the soaking process.
When no more mushrooms grow out of a grow kit after the second flush for at least three weeks, or when the Magic Mushroom grow kit turns green, red, grey or yellow; the grow kit can be disposed of. The change in color is a sign that the grow kit is contaminated with another fungus or a bacteria. No more mushrooms will grow out of the Psilocybe cubensis Magic mushroom grow kit and the grow kit should be thrown away in the garbage outside.
When you are too late picking the mushrooms, they will drop their spores. The cake and the mushrooms will turn black/purple (some other cubensis strains red/brown) because of the spores. This is not really a problem; it just doesn’t look very pretty. When mushrooms release their spores, they also start to degrade and the active ingredients are breaking down. Mushrooms will lose some of their potency.
Check out the responsible use page for more information on do’s and don’ts.
This kit is meant for small-scale home use only.